- The first thing you will ask yourself will be, what they call “Private House”?. A private house is a private family establishment where it is charged for lodging service. They can be apartments, houses, rooms inside houses or rooms with independent entrance. The term “Private House” (Casa Particular) indicates that this type of accommodation is administered privately and not by the Cuban government. Comparable with “Bed & Breakfast”. Breakfast may or may not be included in the price per night. You will recognize that the house is legal if the houses has a symbol at the entrance like a half blue triangle , which means the owners are taxpayers and that means they are legal.
- There are two types of currencies in Cuba: Cuban Peso (CUP) and Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC). 1.00 CUC equals 24 CUP (1 CUC = 24 CUP). Both the Cuban Peso and the Cuban Convertible Peso can only be obtained and used in Cuban territory. You can get CUC when you arrive in Cuba, by exchanging foreign currencies in the exchange houses (CADECA) in all airports and cities of the country or at any bank.
- If you would like to change CUC for CUP on the street the change is 1 CUC = 24 CUP.
- The bus company for tourists that allows you to move around Cuba is called Viazul.
- The most common way to travel economically and quickly within cities such as Havana is in a taxi called by the Cubans ¨maquinas¨, classic cars of the 50s that operate as taxis and mostly charge in CUP , so you should know that if you pay in CUC they will always return you in CUP. In Havana for example, these cars make fixed journeys with fixed rates. There are classic cars that you can also rent for tours or long trips between provinces with which you can negotiate a price in CUC.
- Download an app like MAPS.ME that will allow you to move around Cuba offline.
- To connect to the internet in Cuba you must buy ETECSA cards from the internet, these cards will allow you to connect to the wifi networks all over the country . One hour of internet costs 1.00 CUC.
- List of useful telephone numbers in Cuba:
|SIUM (is the equivalent of 911)||104|
|Search and Salvage maritime||107|
|Cira García International Hospital||+5372044300|
|Embassy of Canadá||+5372042516|
|Viazul (Buses between cities)||
- Cuba Prohibits the entry of natural products of vegetable or animal origin. Pets can be imported provided they are accompanied by the corresponding health documentation.
- The climate on the island is humid and warm, with strong oceanic influence. The average annual temperature is 25 degrees Celsius. The relative humidity reaches an annual average of 81%. There are no marked changes in the seasons, its temperature stays between 21 and 35 degrees Celsius.
- Keep a copy of the Voucher to present to the owners of the houses.